Sunday, May 3, 2009

Third full day in NYC

Today started off with a walk, this time I was on my own while everyone else slept in.  I headed toward Central Park with my camera (pictures coming as soon as I get home). Off I went.  Well almost. As soon as I stepped outside I was hit with some pretty heavy rain drops, so back up the elevator to grab my umbrella, then off to the park.  It was beautiful and so green.  I found a waterfall and another pond (there are many) and just took pictures and watched people go by.  I swear, everyone in NY owns a dog, some more than one. New Yorkers love walking their dogs and I love watching them.  Lots of runners and bikers, even in the rain.  I headed back on Park Ave to enjoy the beautiful buildings.  I love Art Deco design - there are sooooo many of them to admire.  

After we were all up and ready, Mom and Annie headed to the Metropolitan Museum of Art while Katie and I went back to Canal Street for more shopping.  We made a couple of wrong platform choices getting on the Subway, but arrived at our destation  in one piece.  We did quite a bit of wheeling and dealing and after about an hour, headed back to the subway with our loot!  We then walked up and down 5th ave (in the rain) and after seeing all the, well I guess they are well dressed security guards, standing at the door of each high-end store, we looked at each other and agreed that we were under dressed and too wet to go in.   So window shopping it was and it was great.  The window displays are so amazing, colorful and creative you can just look for hours so that is what we did.  We hit Dylan's Candy Bar again. This time Katie bought the adorable, colorful rain boots she was admiring the night before.

We then hooked up with Mom and and Annie at pier 83 on the west side and hopped on a two-hour tour of the harbor.  We took lots of pictures and had a great guide, who told us the history of Manhattan and New Jersey.  Going under the bridges was great and it is such and wonder to know that they are over 100 years old (most of them)  

After the tour, Annie went to Madison Square Garden for a concert and Mom, Katie and I went off to Little Italy and Chinatown, so back on the Subway (we are getting really good at the subway, most people now think we are Locals, Hee Hee) We had a wonderful dinner, lured in the restaurant by the charming guy outside who promised we would not find better food down the street. During dinner, he walked around inside the restaurant telling women how much he loved us. A couple scarves and new hat later (for mom),  after 3 full days on your feet, they just say take us back, so we went to the subway station and got back on the uptown 6.  

We three put on our jammies, turned on "Desperate Housewives" and relaxed. 

Annie called about 9 and asked if we wanted to go the the top of 30 Rock, so after putting our tired (and a bit sore) feet back in our shoes, Mom and I walked over to Rockefeller Center and up we went. Katie could not bear to get dressed again, so she stayed at the apartment, cozy on the couch. 

 It was still a bit cloudy 70 stories up, but the views were so cool.  You are so high up. Other than Plexiglass, there is not much holding you back. My stomach got a bit queasy and on this building, you really are on the top.  We had fun, but it was getting late, so back down, grab a cab and now take off those shoes for the night.  

More tomorrow.  

No comments: