Monday, May 4, 2009

Day number four in NYC!!!

When my alarm went off at 6:30 this morning, I will admit that I did just want to roll over and get a bit more sleep, but how often are you in New York, so up I got and woke up Katie and we were off to Grand Central Station to get some pictures. I't was raining again, but still fun to get up and see all the people headed off to work. The Station is a wonderful old building and to much going on there. It reminded me of Grand Central Station, LOL.

I found a wonderful Art Deco building on 51st and Lexington. I just wonder what happened to builders between the 1930's and now. The old buildings have so much character. I could look at them for hours.

When we were all ready, we headed off to Macys, the largest department store in the world. Annie had printed off some Friends and Family coupons, so a-shopping we went. We all found great bargains. After shopping we ate a very good lunch on the bottom level of the store. To get there, we rode an old wooden escalator.

After leaving Macys, we did a bit of shopping on 34th street. Each of us (not mom) "New York" Jackets to wear to the Yankees game (because it had not stopped raining and we knew we were going to be cold).

We also made a trip back Dylan's Candy Bar on 59th and 3rd. Such a fun place. Three floors of candy, pulsing music - how could it not be amazing? Katie bought a pair of rain boots and a new umbrella with candy all over them. We enjoyed some ice cream and then headed back to the apt to get ready for the game.


Annie and mom and gotten tickets to the Yankees game. They were playing Boston and we had been a bit worried all day whether the game would be played due to rain, but saw nothing on the news, so off to the #4 subway and to the Bronx and the new Yankee Stadium. We arrived in the rain, and bought rain ponchos for about 5 bucks each and headed into the stadium. Beautiful new building, but also fun to see the old one right next to the new one. The old one had been there since Babe Ruth in the 1920's.

When we were walking from subway to stadium, a policeman told us we would not get "regulation" backpacks into the facility and that we should go down the street and check bags at the bowling alley. That was upsetting. I decided I would not go to the game if I had to leave my camera someplace. At the gate, I was told camera in bag OK, but Katie would have to empty her backpack and throw it away. That was not fun. We put everything else in plastic bags and Annie's bag.

The game was due to start at 7:05 but soon on the huge new board, it showed RAIN DELAY!!! And boy did it rain. We sat and waited and waited and waited, and at about 8:40pm you saw all kinds of men running out to the field to take off the plastic and get ready to "Play Ball." The crowd went wild and playing started. We stayed for 3 innings (it was already past 10pm and we were cold, tired and can I say crabby?) so we got back on the subway toward Manhattan. It was so much fun to see the game, even just sitting in the rain with my family was fun (really, really cold, but fun).

We leave tomorrow, but planning on a full half-day before that.

No comments: