Sunday, May 13, 2012

Wiskey 50 2012


Well, I went to the Whiskey50 mountain bike race for the second year. It is held in Prescott Arizona and the town really comes out in support of the event.
It is also one of the largest pro pay outs of the year, a $30,000 purse gets all the top names out for the event.
This year I ended up riding up by myself, having just opened up our second Rod Works store in Henderson just 3 weeks earlier and having most of our employees heading to Orem for Women's Conference at BYU, Lolly was kind enough to stay back and keep things running (I missed her company).
I stayed with Matt Rozar's in-laws there in Prescott and that was a real treat, they were super nice people and much better than staying by myself in a lonely hotel room.

This race is 50 miles with about 8,000 feet of climbing for your enjoyment, this race starts out super fast and it's a big field, 1,750 total riders so getting to the front helps alot...the first 5 miles is paved and that makes for a fast start and you are racing to get to the dirt single track before the back up begins...I got slowed down last year so I picked up the pace a touch this year without blowing myself up in the process.

I settled in on the single track with a group and started the climbing on the 1-track first and then a jeep road climb that leads you to the first aid station about 12 miles in where you head down the 12 mile dirt road into the little town of skull Valley where is the half way point of the race...I worked much harder going down the road this year and really pushed the pace instead of coasting down the road...got into the town, I hit the porta potty, filled my juice bottle and back on the bike I went...maybe a minute total.

This is where the race really begins 12 miles of 4, 5 and 8%  climbing awaits you...it takes about 1.15 to get back to the aid station and then you still got 4-5 miles of climbing to reach the top. When I got to the aid station I got a few salt pills (was starting to cramp a touch) and dumped my whole head into some water...two bananas and I was out of there.

I felt a bit stronger this year than last I stayed in my middle chain ring all day and I know that didn't happen last year...so in about 20 minutes I was finally cresting the top...more single track and heading back into town, still a bit of work and your tired at this point. At about 5 miles to go I made a stupid mistake in a rock garden and I clipped a pedal and I went down hard and hit hard...ripped up my legs really good and even worse I messed up my new bike (not cool) I took a few minutes to collect my thoughts and I got back on the trail after 5 or 6 people passed me...they all ask if I was okay...even in a race mountain bikers take care of each other.

I finished off the last few miles and completed the race in 4:10 minutes...12 minutes faster than the previous year...good enough for 20th place out of about 190 riders in my class...

I will be back to the Whiskey 50 next year, and I think I will have a little more company...namely Lolly and a riding partner in David...he will be home this fall and he is looking forward to getting back into the racing scene...I'm looking forward to my riding partner getting home as well!




No comments: