Friday, June 10, 2011

Spring Tour de St. George....

 
We drove up to St George Ut for Brad's first road race of the year, well really his first road race ever...
Well, its been some time since I did my first century bike race. I was excited to try my hand at road riding (I've always been a dirt guy) Thinking most roadies were weight wienies and stuck up snobs who don't even wave as you ride by...But after so many of my friends ride road bikes and after moving back to Vegas and watching so many ride up Red Rock I decided to buy a road bike and join the snob club.
I can tell you that I enjoy it way more than I would have guessed, it is easier to ride, less gear, you can ride right out of the garage and I don't get as muddy or even dusty...and it is fast, you can cover fifty plus miles in a few hours and be back home showered and ready for the day.
Down sides, cars! You have to be on your toes and watch what is going on...But I really enjoying riding my new Specialized S-Works Roubaix!
Okay back to the St George race, it was scheduled April 9th and you would think that means nice warm like spring weather, that's why I choose St George...Well the weather is really the story here, the report called for cold damp weather all day...I watched the weather everyday for two weeks until Lolly told me I couldn't tell her the weather any more...I still looked. Nothing changed the morning of the race it was raining and in the high 30's...I must say I consider my self a warm weather rider...David has hauled me out into the weather he considers nice and I freeze...Utah fall and spring rides...sorry back to the story...I figured I signed up and I wanted to do it...so I guess there were about 200 or so stupid people willing to brave the elements for the love of cycling and away we went.
We rode out of down town, out around sand Hollow and through Hurricane and then they routed us back through town out to snow canyon...I really felt good all day, it rained a good part of the day, it snowed for 45 minutes as we went through Hurricane and I think we lost 20-30 of the riders there...I must say I feet were numb and I won't mention the other numb areas...but that comes with the territory.

I finished the race some where in snow canyon where the race organizers turned us around because of Snow on the roads(it is called snow canyon) so I think the total for the day was 88 miles in 4:28 and I must say it's not what I thought my Spring Tour of St George  was going to be like, but I always enjoy a challenge on the bike and love to accomplish a new adventure in my life...I see more century rides in my future. Can I take a minute to thank my wonderful wife, it's a long day out there on the bike...but even more so driving from aid station to aid station...on this day listening to me cry about how wet and cold my body parts were and having her help change my socks and warm my feet in the car by the heater and the whole time telling me what a great job I'm doing...I know I say it alot, but I have the sweetest, kindest wife the walks this earth who I love and adore. Now bring on some dirt!




Dressed for a cold ride....just 100 miles :)











 
At the Start...7am
























 


coming in at a check point...







Done and ready to get warm....




Don't ask.....





No comments: